Saturday, December 25, 2010

Tinge-linge-later


Happy Holidays, Glaedlig Jul and Siku Kuu Ya Krismasi!  Part one of my Christmas posts start with a trip to Gibsons to celebrate the 24th with my family.  It was a blustery day, so it didn't make the best ferry photo ops, but I got to spend the day with loved ones and that's all that matters.  The 24th is actually when I celebrate Christmas compared to the 25th that's more typical in North America.  Back in Denmark on the 24th, the family would gather for a traditional dinner filled with Frickadella, Herring, Duck, Cheese, Liver Pate etc.. and after dinner, the doors would open and the Christmas Tree would be revealed to the family for the first time.  Underneath the tree would be the presents delivered by the Christmas Elves that you could hear on the roof.

I know it's completely different then Santa coming on the 25th, but that's how we roll in Denmark.

Stephs Outfit
Faux Leather Jacket: Ravi Kosla
Dress: London Times
Blazer: Zinc
Tights: Chinese Laundry
Boots: Tommy Hilfiger
Bracelet: Winners
Brooch & Ring: Friis & Co
I won't even attempt to mention my brothers outfit, as he is a Corporate and if I blog about his outfit, he will probably never talk to me again, or at least this visit.



Once we got to my grandma's we took a few quick pics by her new tree.  They just bought a second house, so her old tree and all her danish ornaments I miss :( are at the new spot.  At least she got a new tree for her old spot!  Doesn't it look like it's missing the top though?


Bryan, myself and my Cousin Scott by the tree


My grandparents have the most amazing vintage items from Europe, including their old school phone that actually still works.


My Aunt brought up her adorbale doggies Angus and Enzo.


My grandparents ordered Chinese for Dinner, as at 88 and 78, no one wanted them to slave away cooking a danish feast all day.


And of course we couldn't go without treats at the grandparents.  There were cookies galore!


I think the highlight of my trip was recieving the best tape ever!!!!  I grew up listening to this casette tape of childrens danish christmas songs.  My favorite song Tinge-linge-later always gets me so excited everytime I hear it.  When we were kids, Bryan, Scott, Myself and Grandma would put pots and pans on our heads, and dance around with cooking spoons singing this song.  Whenever I hear it, I feel like putting a strainer or my head, grabbing a salad tosser and dance around the table. 


Recieving the tape made me think of some of the other awesome items I have brought home recently from my grandparents as they downsize to a new smaller home, compared to their mansion on the beach.

This clock made in Germany I absolutely love.  You could fall asleep staring as the spinning balls.


I'm also in love with my King Christian X statue from Denmark.  Kimg Christian was the King of Denmark during WWII and stands out to me as he didn't make his people where the star of David, and refused to co-operate with the Nazi force.  He would ride his horse Jubilee everyday down the streets of Denmark without a guard.  The Nazi occupation didn't understand how he would go out by himself, where the King replied, the citizens of Denmark are my security, as we was loved by everyone.  The Nazi occupation would shoot bullets at the horses feet, which one day caused the King to fall off Jubilee, and he could not ride again.  He died shortly after, but is remembered as one of the most amazing Kings to ever reign Denmark.


I also inherited my favorite wooden danish vikings, and my grandpa's canister he used to keep his pipe tobacco in.


Bornesange - Tinge-linge-later

1 comment:

  1. I love your grandparents phone! Dione has a tape cassette on her stereo in her playroom.

    ReplyDelete