Monday, January 3, 2011

But it's only me to me and I walk alone

The Seawall and Thai Food = 2 of my loves


Jacket: Della Spiga
Shirt: bluheaven
Jeans: Almost Famous
Shoes: Elephant Keds
Bag: BCBG
Glasses: Neon Punk
Necklace & Earings: Gifted

Sunday was the perfect day for a seawall stroll.  Normally I do the Stanley Park/ Second Beach part - but for a change I did the False Creek / Yaletown stroll.  Actually my intention along with enjoying the sun was to finally check out the AYCE from Chilli House Thai Bistro.  I hadn't really had an appetite since friday with the passing of my Grandpa, hence the lack of a new years celebration post.  I actually went to bed way before New Years, as I was emotionally drained, and just wanted the day to end.

Finally I was ready to get out of the house, and I sure was hungry so it was the perfect excuse to eat a lot of Thai Food.  I don't usually frequent AYCE places, unless I'm paying around $50 or more.  For Chilli House Thai Bistro, they have AYCE with about 30 dishes to choose from for $16 /person.  I think that's one of the best deals in the city for that price, as you get fresh food and the quality is great.  All dishes come in small portions, which is great so I could try lots of different things.


We ordered a bunch of dishes to try, including the Yellow Curry Chicken which was bloneless chicken, yellow curry paste, coconut milk, carrot & potato.  Loved this dish!  I actually have never tried this dish at a thai resto before, as usually I stick with green or red curries, but anything with yellow curry, chicken and potatoes has never let me down.


I was curious about the Thai Calamari (Pla Muk Tod) so I had to try it.  I was thinking it would be similar to the chinese squids and peppery salts, but it actually came out looking like onion rings with the sweet thai chilli sauce.  These were alright, not my favorite type of squid, but at least the batter wasn't greasy.


Next was the Chilli Pepper Fried Rice with chicken, diced vegetables and egg.  This dish was pretty fab, nice and simple and the rice was cooked perfect.  We ended up mixing this dish with the curries.


I ordered the Chicken Satay marinated in thai herbs and coconut milk served in a thai peanut sauce.  Loved This!!  The chicken was cooked perfect and came off the skewer easilly, and the peanut sauce was great - I even put one of my chicken wings in the peanut sauce :)


Next up were the chicken wings.  I had never had Thai wings before, which tasted like plain deep fried wings.  The sauce was ok, but I think I prefered the Chicken Satay and Curry Chicken over these - just because I like my wings marinated with heat.  They were still good though.


My friend ordered the BBQ Shortribs marinated, grilled and served with a spicy dipping sauce.  He thought these were alright, but not his favorite beef ribs. 


I ordered the Por Pia Tod (vegetarian spring roll) as I had only ever tried them at Thai Cafe, and was curious how they would compare.  These were great, and less greasy than most chinese spring rolls.


I ordered the Pad Bai Grapua, boneless chicken sauteed with Thai chilli, onions and fresh basil.  Loved this dish, I would totally come here and just eat this, perfect heat for me and basil and chillies go so good together!


My friend had the Green Curry with Beef with eggplant, bell peppers, peas, basil leaves and coconut milk.  He said this was one of his favorites of the night and mixed perfectly with his fried rice.


The only prawn dish on the menu was the Tom Yum Goong, hot and sour spicy soup with prawns.  Actually this only had one prawn, but it was perfect.  If I wasn't so keen on trying a variety of everything I could eat until I was full, I would of ordered a few portions of this and just keep having soup all night.


All in all, the AYCE Chilli House Uran Thai Bistro is totally worth the $16, and I can't wait to come back again, especially in the summer when I can sit on their heated patio on the seawall.

If you want to view their AYCE menu you can find it here

Green Day - Bloulevard of Broken Dreams

1 comment:

  1. Wow that food looks delicious! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete