Saturday, February 5, 2011

I been away, ahh-far too long

Dine Out Vancouver 2011 - Dinner #3


So I know I already visited Aqua Riva, but since my dinner date with Derek and Amanda kept changing due to our conflicting schedules, we weren't really able to make a reservation - especially at Cobre where we were wanting to go.  We decided to go to Aqua Riva, and even though I had been there allready for DOV, they still had other menu items I was down to try.

We were seated in the best table of the house, the corner spot surrounded by windows overlooking the water.  Derek, Amanda and I started with a bottle of their feature Pinot Grig for DOV.  For my 3 courses, I opted for dishes that I didn't try on my last visit.  For my starter I ordered the Baby Green Salad with Smoked Wild Sockeye Salmon and Grilled White and Green Asparagus and Sherry Dijon Vinaigrette - which is what my mom ordered on my last visit.  This was a pretty great appetizer, the salmon portion was generous, and the dressing was lightly seasoned and there were lots of asparagus which I loved.  Derek had the scallops that I had on my previous visit, and Amanda had the Chowder.


For the Entree, Amanda & I each went for the Orecchiette Pasta with Grilled Prawns, Shiitake Mushrooms, Spinach, Ancho Chilies and Basil Pesto Cream Sauce.  It's not too often that I order pasta at a restaurant, but since I had the Salmon previously, and I don't do meat, and wasn't feeling vegetarian, I went for the pasta.  The prawns were cooked perfect, along with the pasta noodles.  The sauce wasn't over powering, and the only thing was that I wished I had more Mushrooms and Chillies.


Derek ordered the Wood Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Cajun Jumbo Fries and Salsa Verde for his main.  I thought this was a huge steak, although I couldn't tell where the salsa was.  Also it wasn't really fries, more of potato slices, and veggies marinated in sauce underneath the steak - so I'm thinking maybe aside from the steak, the description was inaccurate.


For the dessert I went with the Apple and Cranberry Crisp.  As a child our family would get together after church and hit up the Sizzler or Uncle Willy's, and I remember how much I loved eating Apple Crisp.  I also remember how my grandma and I picked wild apples on the beach in Gibsons, and my grandparents pealed the smallest oddly shaped apples and made me the best apple crisps.  This one was pretty great too.


Derek is one of my best homies so it was great to finally meet his lady.


Led Zeppelin - The Girl I Love

1 comment:

  1. Wow love the blog :D can't wait to try out some of these places. Thanks for posting that photo of derek and I... it turned out pretty good. Looking forward to another dinner night :D

    ReplyDelete