Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm never gonna lose that funky sound

My Final Dine Out Vancouver of 2011 - #5 at The Salmon House


I'm so glad I was able to get 5 Dine Out visits done during the 2 week program.  I may go to a few more with the restaurants that are extending it.  My final visit, I think was the best one I went to this year.  The Salmon House was offering a 3 course for $28.  The Salmon House is a sister restaurant to Aqua Riva and Horizons - and all 3 places have an amazing view.

I dined out with my mom, and 2 family friends Ray & Anne Marie, and we got an amazing table right by the window, overlooking Vancouver.


We all ordered some cocktails and wine, and the waitress brought over the house bread.  Normally I don't try butter, but it looked interesting mixed with oil and whipped with some other seasonings or herbs.  It was really good, and I have no idea what was in it.


For the appetizers, Anne Marie and myself went with the Crispy Chilli & Garlic Ucluelet Side Striped Prawns with Vegetable Slaw, and a Lemon Basil Vinaigrette.  These were amazing, and with 7 prawns, they did not skimp out.  I loved the jalepeno's and the chilli's that the prawns were fried in.  The salad was also really refreshing and I loved the fried lemon.


Ray & my mom went for the Wild Mushroom and Rosemary Soup with Chicken and White Truffle Oil.  They loved it and said it was like mushroom soup with fine pieces of chicken.


For the main, Ray, Anne Marie and myself all opted for the Tortilla Crusted Wild Sockeye Salmon with Fennel Gnocchi, Tomatillo Salsa & Honey Lime Butter Sauce.  This dish was fab, and this was also the biggest salmon portion I have tried during DOV so far.  Everything about this dish was great.


My mom went for the gluten free option which was the Alder-Grilled Pemberton Meadows Beef Flat Iron with Cumin Roasted Potato, Spicy Cashew & Haricot Vert Saute, Shallot & Stilton Jus.  My mom loved the steak, and said it was her favorite main out of the Dine Out Vancouver dinners she had tried.


For dessert, Ray, Anne Marie and myself all went with the Coconut & Lime Cheesecake with White Chocolate Sauce and Mango Coulis.  I hadn't tried cheesecake during dine out vancouver, and this one was super light and moist and had a tropical key-lime taste.


My mom went with the gluten free option which was the Creme Brulee, topped with fruit.  The custard was super light and creamy, and the sugar was glazed perfectly.


In case you haven't been to The Salmon House, it's like dining in an upscale cabin.  They have an amazing wine selection, and Checo Thomaso performs in the Soho Lounge every friday and saturday night.  He was a back-up singer for the Commodores and Marvin Gaye.


We had an amazing view during dinner



Rick Derringer - Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo

No comments:

Post a Comment