Sunday, April 17, 2011

Erase and rewind cause I've been changing my mind

Friday night = game night.  And by game, I don't mean hockey..


Friday was such a fun day.  At work I was busy getting ready for a baby shower/potluck we were having at noon for one of my coworkers.  After work Jeff and I headed out to Kingston Cafe for some amazing Jamaican food.  I had no idea what to order & I saw Ocean Perch on the menu which I hadn't seen last time.  I decided to go with that for $12 which came with rice & peas & salad.  Mike gave me a massive piece of Perch.  Even Jeff was suprised how big it was.  I managed to finish my salad and maybe 1/4 of the fish and rice, and got the rest to go.  It was soo good as usual.  Last time I came the owner Prince was doing the cooking, but Mike sure knows how to cook too, even if he does think that some fish have 4 legs.  He's also pretty nice to look at :)

Jeff ended up getting the Jerk Chicken & Oxtail combo for $15.  I tried a bit of his jerk chicken, and it was great, just like the last time I had tried it.  Prince & his daughter stopped by, and after chatting it up with them we headed out to face the horrible traffic.


After I finally got home, Diana & I decided to head out to Vancouver to get our game on.  After several encounters with drunken guys trying to talk to us on our way to downtown, we finally decided we should start our night at Sanafir.  We both decided on getting the Vanilla drink for $7.50 from their Aromatic cocktail list which I think is the best drink I have had in a long time.  It was made with banff ice vodka, mango, guava, vanilla, and something else over ice.  This was amazing!  I am so going to get this drink again, and need to learn how to make it!


Diana was hungry so I recommended we order 2 mezze dishes at $7.50 each as I wasn't hungry.  We ordered the Tandoori Prawn Skewer Tandoori Prawn Skewer -grilled tandoori spiced prawns, chickpea, arugula salad and also the Quinoa Salad - roasted root vegetables, roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette.  I never thought I'd say this but I was actually let down by both of the dishes :(

I think they had a different chef working, as when I was in on tuesday it was so much better.  I noticed that the prawns had their heads on, which I hadn't seen the last 2 times I had ordered this - and also the portion was remarkably smaller.  Although the picture of the quinoa salad is sort of blurry (I hate taking photos in a dim light), it was quite different then my last visit.  I noticed that they used spinach instead of arugula, but I found the root vegetables to be very mushy.  I think if I'm going to eat at Sanafir I'm going to make sure I come on the nights when the chef that prepared my previous meals is working!




After Sanafir we headed over to Speak Easy to check out the boys, since Deuce Bungalows Spanish Cantina was closed, but nothing stood out for us.  Plus everyone seemed way to drunk there.  After each having a Sex on Wreck Beach drink we headed out to Steamworks but stopped to check out some people having a jam session on Granville.


video

Diana was still hungry so she ordered some Yam fries $5.99 with balsamic glaze and pesto mayo.  She actually said they were the best yam fries she ate in a long time.


I didn't feel like drinking anymore, so I ordered the Garlic fries for $4.99 with fresh chopped garlic.  I think we ate about 10 fries each, and got the rest to go.  Although neither of us found any hot guys that night, it was still a fun girls night for sure.  Especially at Sanafir with their yummy vanilla cocktails :)


The Cardigans - Erase & Rewind

1 comment:

  1. That cocktail sounds amazing! All my fave flavours in there:)

    ReplyDelete