Monday, May 2, 2011

We're not the ones who're meant to follow

Sunday brunch at Monks and painting at Raw Canvas!


Last sunday I met up with my mom for our usualy sunday morning brunch at Monks and was so glad that their patio is now open!  This is the first time we got to dine on their wonderful patio this season.  It was such a beautiful day to be taking in the rays at Monks!


I love Monk McQueens brunch menu, and each visit I have always tried something different.  This visit I went with the Smoked Salmon Scramble for $16 - wild alderwood smoked salmon scramble, cream cheese, croissant, hash browns & fresh fruit.  I have not had eggs in so long, and I was so glad I got to have them at Monks as they make a killer scramble!  Even the smoked salmon was perfect and I loved the cream cheese on top.  The fruit bowl was also really yum and had everything from blackberries to strawberries.


My mom also went with the gluten free version of the Smoked Salmon Scramble (no croissant).


After a womderful brunch we walked over the Cambie bridge to check out the BMO marathon going on and encourage the inspiring athletes.




After walking around false creek and watching the marathon, we headed over to Raw Canvas.  My mom ordered a bottle of La Mura Organico wine $36 from Nero D'avola -'08 - spicy aromas, fresh fruit, elegant complexity.  It was actually the only bottle of organic red, and since both my mom and I can only have organic red, we went for this one.  I loved the vibe in Raw Canvas too.  I loved their choice of music, and they even had open mic which a few different people came and sang and played the guitar.



After putting on our first coat of white paint on our canvas paintings, we ordered our tasting plates while the paint dried.  Normally these would be $15 each, but came with our Groupon deals I purchased.  I went with the quail and pear terrine made in quebec by maison du gibier, maréchal [switzerland (vaud): cow: raw] hand-rubbed with fresh herbs. robust + spicy flavour, and the piave vecchio [italy (veneto): cow] slightly sweet and nutty with aromas of grapefruit paired with pear cardamom confiture, fire roasted tomatoes and organic dried apricots, served with sliced baquette.

This was an amazing cheese plate!  Most of the time I don't get to try meats, as they usually are all pork or beef, so I was excited that they actually had some game birds I could try!  I was also very impressed with their cheese selection, and got to try some cheese options I had never heard of!


For my moms tasting plate, she ordered the pheasant and pistachio terrine made in quebec by maison du gibier, soft taleggio [italy (lombardy): cow] a washed rind cheese. magnificent texture and comté arnaud reserve [france (franche-comté): cow: raw] rich, full flavor. aromas of nuts, honey + wildflowers paired with organic almonds, sage cranberry confiture and dried organic mission figs.  My mom and I each sampled all of the 12 items from both of our cheese plates.  After an amazing snack, we carried on with our wine and paintings.


Also I thought I'd share a few photos of the murals in their washroom.






My mom painting her 2nd canvas from Raw Canvas for her kitchen.


My first painting ever!  Now I just have to figure out where to put it!  Hope everyone else had an amazing weekend!


Green Day - American Idiot

1 comment:

  1. i like your orange painting with the surf boards...

    ReplyDelete