Saturday, February 11, 2012

First Wine Maker's Dinner @ Hop & Vine

First Wine Maker's Dinner @ Hop & Vine


Hop & Vine have been hosting the Long Table series for a while now, & decided to introduce a new dining option - the Wine Maker's Dinner.  I was invited by KH Group to blog about the event which included 5 international wines.  As the evening host Paul explained, "most people stick with what they know in a restaurant or bar, & don't want to order a new wine risking they may not enjoy it".  The Wine Maker's Dinner was introduced for diners to experiment, and get to know wine options they like & don't like.  Hop & Vine head Chef Rinaldo, of 3.5 years prepared a customized dinner menu to match the wine selections.  For the first Wine Maker's Dinner, the menu consisted of 5 courses, each paired with a different wine.

First up was the Bodegas Arupside 2009 Organic Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc Alaris paired with Seared Thai Scallops.  I was excited to see that they had an organic wine on the menu, as I try to stick with organics as much as possible.  The scallop was lightly seared, & the coconut fried rice was intended to be slightly risotto style.



Second up was the Flor de Crasto Douro Tinto paired with Short Rib Ravioli.  I really enjoyed the Portugal red, and I think my highlight from the Raviolli dish was the yam puree & sauteed mushrooms.  I couldn't stop eating the puree!



The middle course consisted of a Johnny Q 2008 Shiraz paired with Deconstructed Beef Wellington.  This was an example of an amazing food & wine pairing!  The beef was very tender, and the pastry was delicate - the way it should be.  The wild mushrooms had just the right touch of cream also.  The host Paul mentioned that wine drinkers are always quiet until the 3rd glass.  He was so right!




The fourth course included an Allan Scott 2006 Riesling paired with a Lemon Tart.  This wine smelled like a Mechanic.  It litterally smelled like something involving gasoline.  However, it tasted fab!  I think it was my favorite wine of the night!  The Lemon Tart combined sweet & sour elements, and delicate meringue.  My favorite part of the dessert was the lime crust with cream cheese. 



Lastly, was my most anticipated course of the night!  Everyone knows I love cheese, and when I saw that Hop & Vine was offering 5 unique cheese options I was thrilled!  The cheese plate was paired with a stronger wine, Christian Drouin Poomeau de Normandie.  This was a sweeter dessert wine which complimented some of the lighter cheese options.  My favorite cheese options were the Red Wine Aged Cheedar & the Black Truffle.



KH Group has many upcoming Wine Maker's & Long Table Dinner events.  I would highly recommend attending, especially if you love wine & craft beer.


1 comment:

  1. Where was my invite! I am literally a 3 minute drive away..what/who, is/are the KH group?

    ReplyDelete